Celebrate Harvest Time in the Winelands with a special concert, Vinkeldae: Luminous Evergreens at Harvest Time featuring songs from Beethoven to Gershwin with Reiner Schneider-Waterberg (baritone) and Dominic Chamot (piano).
When : 26 January 2019
Time : 19h00 – 20h00
Where : La Motte Wine Estate
Enquiries: Angela at +27(0)21 876 8000 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Concert starts promptly at 19:00.
Celebrate New Year’s Eve in culinary style at Leeu Estates. Indulge in a delicious five course menu paired with some exceptional local wines. It’s the perfect way to taste, sip and savour your way into 2019, with friends and family.
When : 31 December 2018
Time : 19h00 – 00h00
Cost : Wine-pairing menu: R1 850 per person (includes gratuity).
Where : Leeu Estate
Children’s menus are available for all three to 12 year olds.
Menu only: R1 250 per person (includes gratuity/excludes all beverages). Vegetarian menus are available on request.
Full pre-payment secures reservation. Contact: email@example.com / +21 21 492 2222.
December 18, 2018 8:16 am
Regarded as one of South Africa’s leading wine producing regions as well as the country’s premier culinary destination, the Franschhoek Wine Valley has every reason to raise a glass to a stellar year. Earning top accolades has once again placed this picture perfect valley at the top of visitors’ minds.
Herewith a sampling of this year’s highlights:
- La Motte Wine Estate was recognised as the Cape Winelands District Municipality Wine Tourism Destination of the Year.
- For the 2nd year running, Petit & Grande Plaisir Self-Catering Cottages was named as one of the winners in the 2018 Western Cape Lilizela Tourism Awards.
La Motte, Franschhoek
- At the 2018 Novare SA Terroir Awards Dieu Donné Vineyards was recognised as the Top Shiraz producer for its 2016 Shiraz;
- La Bri earned a well-deserved Platinum for its Syrah 2014 at the 2018 Michelangelo International Wine Awards;
- Well known British wine authority, Tim Atkin MW only had rave reviews for the Franschhoek Vignerons in his 2018 South African Wine Review, which saw the likes of Chamonix, Black Elephant Vintners, Bellingham, Anthonij Rupert Wyne and others scoring an impressive 90+ points for wines in their respective ranges;
- Colmant came out tops at the 2018 Amorim Cap Classique Challenge, with their Brut Chardonnay NV being named the Best Blanc de Blancs at this prestigious industry event ;
- The launch of the much anticipated 2019 Platter’s Wine Guide was met with great excitement, especially by Mullineux Wines, Allée Bleue, Colmant, Rickety Bridge and Plaisir de Merle receiving 5-star ratings for their wines. Plaisir de Merle was awarded the Bordeaux Style Red Blend of the Year Award for its Signature Blend 2012, with Rickety Bridge announced as Semillon of the Year for its Road to Santiago 2016. Mullineux Wines not only received the award for Straw Wine of the Year for its Straw Wine 2017, but also walked away with the title of Chardonnay of the Year for its Leeu Passant Stellenbosch Chardonnay 2016. Furthermore, this was the 2ndconsecutive year that Colmant was awarded the sought after 5-star rating in the Méthode Cap Classique category;
- On the international front Boschendal was awarded Gold as well as the Trophy for Best South African Chardonnay at the 2018 International Wine Challenge for its Appellation Series Elgin Chardonnay 2016;
- At this year’s Rosé Rocks competition Holden Manz, DGB Bellingham and Boschendaleach received Double Gold for their Rosé wines entered;
- At the 2018 Top 100 Wines of South Africa, La Motte and La Bri each secured a spot on this coveted list for their respective wines.
Colmant Brut Chardonnay NV
- With fine dining playing a pivotal role in what makes Franschhoek a truly memorable experience, our chefs and restaurants were once again honoured at South Africa’s top culinary awards ceremony. Franschhoek restaurants have been winners in the Eat Out Mercedes-Benz Top 20 Restaurant Awards for many years, on a consistent basis, and 2018 is no exception. This year La Petite Colombe, Le Coin Français, ChefsWarehouse at Maison and Foliage were included on the list of Top 20 restaurants to dine at in South Africa. The Werf Restaurant at Boschendal was this year’s recipient of the Eat Out Woolworths Sustainability Award. In addition Chris Erasmus of Foliagewas one of two recipients to be awarded this year’s Eat Out Graham Beck Chefs’ Chef, which is voted for by the chefs of the 30 nominated restaurants.
- Marigold Restaurant, headed up by highly acclaimed chef Vanie Padayachee, was acknowledged as a Platinum Class Winner at the 2018 Fine Dining SAWI Awards.
Le Coin Français
- Babylonstoren secured 11th position on the prestigious 2018 Conde Nast Traveller list, while according to the World’s Best Boutique Hotels for 2018, Akademie Street Boutique Hotel was voted as the World’s Most Romantic Retreat;
- For the second year running, World Travel Awards named Leeu Estates,the Leeu Collection’s flagship property as South Africa’s Leading Wine Country Hotel.
Akademie Street Boutique Hotel
In November Môreson’s Clayton Reabow was announced as the 2018 Diners Club Winemaker of the Year in the Chardonnay category for his Môreson Mercator Chardonnay 2017. Clayton is no stranger to this competition, winning the Diners Club Young Winemaker of the Year Award in 2009.
Ending the year off on a truly high note, up-and-coming young wine writer Llewellyn Lambert, general manager of the Franschhoek Boutique Hotel,clinched the coveted Veritas Young Wine Writer title for 2018.
Llewellyn Lambert. Image by
‘It has been a bumper year for us, and we’re extremely proud of our members, who strive to keep Franschhoek the preferred destination for local and foreign tourists. Franschhoek is priceless!’ says Franschhoek Wine Valley CEO Reinher Behrens.
View Full Post and Comments
We may not celebrate a white Christmas in sunny South Africa, but we’re guaranteed to bring lots of cheer to all who visit the Franschhoek Wine Valley this festive season.
Franschhoek may be known for being the country’s Gourmet Capital and home to world-class wines, but for those in the know it’s also the place to be (and be seen) when stocking up on a gift or two for family and friends. Franschhoek’s Main Road is dotted with quaint shops and galleries, all within leisurely walking distance, and providing shoppers with ample to choose from. While out and about you’ll find an assortment of boutique fashion and jewellery studios, world-class art galleries and studios. Specialty deli’s and wine shops add extra appeal, while the interior design shops and interesting bric-a-brac shops will undoubtedly get the creative juices flowing for that next room revamp. The wine farms, which are situated in close proximity to the village, make for a welcome change of scenery after a day’s shopping spree.
Shop local gifts, festive farm boxes, living Christmas Trees and much more at Boschendal's Friday Night Christmas Market, 14 December 2018 at 18:00-21:00. Pre-order your festive farm box to ensure you don't miss out.
Click here for more details
View Full Post and Comments
Market times: 9am – 3pm
This coming weekend we will spoil you with an open market for TWO days. So if you still do not have all that Christmas shopping done, add us to your weekend activity list and join us on Saturday and Sunday.
The Franschhoek Wine Tram hop-on hop-off tour is one of the best ways to discover the true essence of the Franschhoek Valley – picturesque vineyards, breath-taking scenery, warm hospitality, world-class cuisine, fine wines and a 300 year history.
Passengers aboard the hop-on hop-off tour will experience a unique and leisurely way to see the Franschhoek Valley as they journey through rolling vineyards in a magnificent double-deck railway tram and an open-air tram-bus stopping in at some of South Africa’s oldest and most distinguished wine estates.
A combination of double deck railway tram and tram-bus transports passengers around a loop of stops allowing them to hop-off at each stop and experience the activities on offer, be it wine tasting, a cellar tour, lunch or simply a stroll through the vineyards and when they are ready, hop-on to continue the tour.
The tour takes passengers right into the heart of the Franschhoek Valley, with a narration focusing on the history of Franschhoek and wine cultivation in the valley and unparalleled views of the valley and vineyards.
The Blue Line & Green Line visits the following estates: Mont Rochelle, Le Lude, La Bri, La Bourgogne, Holden Manz, La Couronne, Rickety Bridge and Grande Provence.
The Red Line & Yellow Line visits the following estates: Maison, Eikehof, Leopard’s Leap, Chamonix, Dieu Donne, Franschhoek Cellar, Rickety Bridge and Grande Provence.
The Orange Line & Purple Line visits the following estates: Noble Hill, Babylonstoren, Backsberg, Glen Carlou, Solms-Delta, Vrede en Lust, Plaisir de Merle and Allee Bleue.
• Download the Franschhoek Wine Tram Brochure here
Tour & Transfer:
Franschhoek Wine Tram now offers an exclusive and direct transfer service from Cape Town and surrounds (including the airport) out to Franschhoek. Transfers are private to each booking, direct door-to-door, include a return transfer and can be arranged to accommodate an extended stay over in Franschhoek at no additional cost.
Tickets can be purchased online or at the Franschhoek Wine Tram ticket office, 32 Huguenot Rd, Franschhoek (pre-booking is advised). Please see our website, www.winetram.co.za, for ticket prices and more information.
Come and enjoy an evening on the moonlit Rhone Rose Garden lawn while listening to a live performance by Nomadic Orchestra.
When : Saturday, 22 December 2018
Time : 18h00 – 21h30
The picnic area has spectacular mountain views and is surrounded by the exhibition vineyards, the Rhone Homestead, the Cellar Door, and our Winery.
Picnic baskets include food made from our natural farm produce. Guest can look forward to delicate pates, freshly baked bread, salads from our Werf Food Garden, coronation chicken, a selection of cold meats, homemade preserves and one of our celebrated desserts.
Price: R750 for a picnic basket for 2, R425 for a picnic basket for 1. Kids under 10, R150.
For more details visit www.boschendal.com
View Full Post and Comments
Still need a gift for someone special this Christmas? Spoil them with an experience at Franschhoek Summer Wines! Tickets are on sale at R230 pp until 31 December 2018 (thereafter R280 pp). Tickets are available online here
For more information about Franschhoek Summer Wines, visit https://franschhoek.org.za/event/franschhoek-summer-wines/
Sundowners at Paserene on Friday evenings from 5pm – 7pm. Wine sales by the glass and bottle and luxury cheese plates to be enjoyed on the deck overlooking the dam and mountains. For more details contact Paserene on +27 (0)21 876 2714 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.